Dear Year 6 Parents
We are writing to you early in the Semester to outline some of our planned transition events to best support your child’s the progression from Junior School to continued success in Middle School. The Middle School staff are very much looking forward to welcoming your child to the Secondary Campus and indeed Middle School in the future.
Further to interactions between the campuses that have already occurred throughout your child’s Junior School years, there will be a comprehensive Orientation Day in Term 4. That will be an informative and enjoyable day, designed to reveal to our future Year 7s (including those who will be new to St John’s) more about Middle School life, opportunities, key staff and student buddies. Part of this day will involve taking part in engaging trial lessons. More detailed information will be sent closer to the time and students will come home from that day with all the key information that they and you will need to begin the following year.
In addition, other experiences planned are:
- a visit the Secondary Campus for our special, ‘International’ themed Secondary assembly on Wednesday 7 August;
- being an audience on Wednesday 14 August to see the Y8 Innov8 (innovation and enterprise project) finalists’ presentations. Following this, the students will have an opportunity to use the campus canteen then visit the Whitechapel Gallery for the Conversations in Lines student exhibition;
- exploring the Middle School STEM focus day in Term 4;
- connecting with the Year 11 and 6 buddies this semester (this leads into their important Y12 – 7 buddy relationship next year);
- other subject-specific visits between campuses throughout the semester; and
- the Head of Middle School along with current Year 7 students will visit Year 6 early Term 4 to prepare students for maximising the benefit of O Day.
Please note that early in the new school year there will be a thorough parent information and acquaintance evening. Should you have any questions or queries about the day, please do not hesitate to contact the Head of Middle School directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 8278 0215.
Ben Clark Simon McKenzie
Head of Middle School Head of Junior School