Mountain Biking Program
The St John’s Grammar Mountain Biking Program is returning in Term 2. To provide a framework and pathway for students progression, the program will continue to feature three grades (Kestrels, Kites and Eagles). There will be an emphasis on developing practical bike handling skills, basic to advanced race techniques and team preparations ahead of the Schools MTB Championships in October.
Students in Years 3 and above will be eligible to participate and will need to nominate which group they wish to join. The program will be lead by our own Mountain Bike Coaches: Talia Simpson, Anook Simpson, Jess Williams, Richard Anderson and Simon McKenzie.
The Program will utilise local trails in Belair National Park and Craigburn Farm, and parents are also very welcome to join the action each week.
The Kestrels will be run similar to a Come and Try program, with new riders combined with students who need to build confidence, sticking to straightforward trails, and will be coached by Richard Anderson.
The Kites are an emerging/intermediate riding group, coached by Simon McKenzie, and will spend most of their time on intermediate trails and building key skills.
The Eagles will tackle a range of trails, with a particular focus on developing ‘advanced level’ skills and preparing for competition, and will be coached by Talia Simpson.
State and Nationally ranked riders, Anook Simpson and Jess Williams, will additionally coach within the Kestrels and Kites groups.
- 11 Training sessions on Friday evenings – from 4 to 5.15pm, commencing on Friday 27 May (Week 4, Term 2) and concluding on Friday 2 September (Week 6, Term 3).
- Available to students in Years 3 and above, with parents also welcome to join.
- All participants must be able to ride on two wheels confidently.
- Information sessions will be held via Zoom for parents and riders, with further details provided following registration.
Program delivery locations
- Term 2
- Friday 27 May – Friday 10 June: Belair National Park
- Friday 17 June – Friday 24 June: Craigburn Farm
- Friday 1 July: No session (last day of Term)
- Term 3
- Friday 29 July: Belair National Park
- Friday 5 August – Friday 2 September: Craigburn Farm
- There will be no charge for participants, however registrations are essential.
Students will need to provide their own equipment, including an appropriate bike, helmet, safety gear and clothing. All must be in good working order.
Mountain Bike Jerseys
St John’s Grammar riding jerseys are available to order in both short sleeve ($62) and long sleeve ($65), in sizes from Youth 6 – 14 and Adult XS to 10XL. These are available to purchase for both students and parents via our website HERE.