Junior School Sports Nominations
Junior School Sport
Sport and other co-curricular activities are an important part of the education offered at St John’s Grammar School. We encourage all students to be involved.
Activities we would like to offer for students in Years 2 – 6 in 2018 are listed below along with the probable match times. Saturday matches generally start at 8.15 am. Other matches are played after school. Information about practice times will be given closer to the commencement of the season. The sports and activities offered may differ slightly, depending on student interest.
For students in Reception and Year 1, there are a number of opportunities throughout the Year to take part in introductory sports clinics. Information about these opportunities will be sent home as they arise.
To assist us with planning can you please complete the Sport Nomination Form via the link below by Friday 1 December.
Sport at St John’s Grammar cannot function without the help of parent volunteers to coach and manage our teams. Please help if you are able to. Coaching roles require previous knowledge/experience playing or coaching a particular sport. Managing roles do not require any knowledge of a particular sport. The function of a Manager is to communicate with the team, relaying all important information (usually via email).
If you would like to coach a team, manage or assist in any way, please indicate so on the nomination form. Please note that both roles require a current police clearance.
If you have any queries or require any further information, please email our Junior School Sports Coordinator, Simon Laube or call 8278 2242.
Summer Sport Choices
Terms 1 and 4
- Kanga Cricket (Saturday morning for Years 2 & 3)
- Modified Cricket (Friday afternoon for Years 4 & 5)
- Cricket (Saturday morning for Years 5 & 6)
- Tennis (Friday afternoon for Years 4 – 6)
- Volleyball (Friday afternoon for Years 3 – 6)
- Softball (Saturday morning for Years 3 – 6)
- Basketball (Weeknights for Years 3 – 6)
Year 3 – Tuesday, Year 4 – Wednesday, Year 5 – Friday, Year 6 – Thursday
Winter Sport Choices
Terms 2 and 3
- Hockey (Friday Afternoon for Years 2 – 6)
- Netball (Saturday morning for Years 2 – 6)
- Soccer (Saturday morning for Years 2 – 6)
- Football combined with Belair Primary School (Saturday morning for Years 2 – 6)
Sport Policy Information
Before filling out the nomination form in collaboration with your child, a number of points need to be made clear in regard to the Sport Policy of St John’s Grammar School:
- Students can nominate up to TWO SPORTS PER SEASON as long as the games don’t clash
- Softball and Netball are for boys and girls
- Volleyball, Basketball, Hockey, Cricket, Football, Softball, Netball and Soccer will be played in mixed gender competitions
- Nominating for a sport requires an absolute commitment from students and parents to all practices, matches and carnivals in which the team takes part. This commitment involves two complete terms for each sport selected and takes precedence over any other out of school commitment (excluding SAPSASA District, State or National sport commitments)
- Once students have nominated, they are unable to change teams or sports unless there are special circumstances approved by the Junior School Sport Coordinator (such as a sport failing to reach adequate numbers to play)
- Should there be more than one team in a given age group for a sport, teams of equal ability will be arranged
- The Junior School Sport Coordinator may at any time, in consultation with the Head of the Junior School, reconfigure teams should it be deemed necessary
- The St John’s PE uniform is the Sport uniform for Kanga Cricket, Tennis, Softball, Volleyball, Hockey and Netball. Students who nominate for cricket (Years 4 – 6) must purchase whites. PE uniform may be worn for Cricket training, but whites are compulsory for matches
- There is an extra fee to play Basketball, Soccer and Football, but singlets, shirts and Guernseys will be supplied
- Teams entered are dependent on sufficient demand and the availability of coaches. Teams that do not have the appropriate support personnel may not be entered into a competition. Please volunteer to help if you are able
- Year 2 students may only select Football, Soccer, Netball, Hockey and Kanga Cricket
Other sporting opportunities throughout the year for students in Years 3 – 6 include Athletics, Swimming and Cross Country.